The best Brooks shoes for nurses vary depending on your personal preference and foot needs. Brooks nursing shoes are favored by healthcare professionals because of their comfort, style, and protection.
Our top pick for Brooks shoes for healthcare workers is the Brooks Ghost 13. These shoes provide balanced and responsive cushioning, durable materials, a lightweight feel, and great traction. They’re also available in a huge array of different colors and styles.
Studying for the NCLEX? Start Here.
The11 Best Brooks Shoes for Nurses
Brooks Ghost 13
The Ghost 13 is the overall best Brooks shoe for nurses. It combines durability, reliability, comfort, and protection. The neutral support includes shock-absorbing cushioning that rebounds for maximum energy efficiency. A combination of different lightweight foams increase the support. Regardless of how you normally walk, the Segmented Crash Pad system stabilizes your stride to make every step smooth.
They even made our list of the best tennis shoes for nurses.
- Available in 23 different color combinations and styles
- Neutral support cushioning excellent for a variety of different foot types
- Combination of DNA LOFT and BioMoGo cushioning
- Shock absorbing Crash Pad reduces pressure on the joints
- 3D Fit Print and engineered mesh conform to the foot like a sock
Most Plush Cushioning
The Glycerin is the perfect choice for nurses who want a lot of plush cushioning. Whether you stand or walk all day, the soft foam underfoot offers maximum support. An interior OrthoLite sock liner increases the comfort, making this great for those with foot issues. Meanwhile, an engineered mesh upper conforms to your foot’s unique shape and stretches to meet your needs. The transition zone makes for super smooth steps.
- Available in 13 different color combinations
- Synthetic and mesh construction balances structure with stretch
- Neutral support with maximum DNA LOFT cushioning
- OrthoLite sockliner makes them comfortable even when barefoot
- Plush transition zone smooths transitions for soft walking
Best Neutral Shoe
The Brooks Launch are the best Brooks shoes for nurses on-the-go who need to maximize their speed. If you want to get somewhere in a hurry, this is the shoe for you. The streamlined design has rebounding cushioning that increases your speed. Meanwhile, the lightweight one-piece construction helps prevent you from getting tired. Thanks to the midfoot transition zone, each heel-to-toe transition is quick and painless.
- Available in 17 different color combinations
- Built for runners who want maximum speed with moderate cushioning
- BioMoGo DNA cushioning rebounds for increased efficiency and speed
- One-piece mesh upper is super lightweight
- Midfoot Transition Zone moves quickly from heel to toe, also increasing speed
Brooks Addiction Walker
Best Arch Support
The Addiction Walker is a professional, protective shoe that provides incredible arch support. The synthetic material is closed, so you don’t have to worry about spills or dropping objects on your toes, making these great Brooks shoes for healthcare professionals. The rollbar technology supports high arches and guides the foot through every stride. Combine all of that with soft cushioning and an innovative outsole, and you have a stable fit that will last for years. This is the best Brooks shoes for nurses who really want the support as well as durability.
- Available in black, gray, and white to match professional environments
- Completely manmade with a synthetic sole
- Extra shoe sizes for exceptionally wide and narrow feet
- Progressive Diagonal Rollbar provides arch support and corrects your stride
- Slip-resistant outsole provides a secure fit with extra stability
The Addiction Walkers also made our list the 15 Best Shoes for Male Nurses
Best Energy Rebound
The Brooks Levitate are amazing Brooks shoes for nurses who often find themselves getting fatigued throughout the day. Not only is the construction super lightweight, but the shoes are designed to rebound energy. That way, you’re expending less energy with each step. The Fit Knit upper provides a snug, sock-like fit that offers fresh air with every step. An arrow-point outsole pattern helps increase the speed of your strides.
- Available in 10 colors and styles
- Felt sole with a quick transition outsole pattern
- Made with 20 percent lighter materials than previous iterations
- DNA AMP cushioning has maximum energy return for springy steps
- Fit Knit upper conforms to the foot like a soft sock while remaining breathable
These Brooks sneakers are specifically designed with energy rebound to help keep feet from getting too fatigued while standing all day.
The Revel is one of the most versatile Brooks shoes for healthcare workers on the market, combining a responsive feel with comfortable cushioning. The BioMoGo DNA foam adapts to each person’s unique stride and weight. With the Fit Knit upper, you get an aesthetically appealing silhouette that conforms securely to the foot. These shoes are great for standing, walking, running, and hauling heavy equipment around.
- Available in 14 different colors
- Modern aesthetic with versatile features that allow all-day use
- Adaptive BioMoGo DNA cushioning responds to your stride
- Arrow-point outsole pattern allows quick heel-to-toe transitions
- Fit Knit upper is aesthetically pleasing and securely fits around the foot
Best for Overpronators
The Adrenaline shoes provide perfect support and are the best Brooks shoes for nurses concerned about overpronation. The energetic cushioning helps with shock absorption while retaining energy. Every stride is adaptable thanks to the BioMoGo DNA cushioning. By using 3D Fit technology, the upper conforms to the foot like a customized design. The shoes help to correct each stride to eliminate overpronation, helping to prevent potential injury.
- Available in 12 different color combinations
- Synthetic and mesh materials provide support and cushioning
- Stabilizes the stride and prevents overpronation
- Supportive combination of DNA LOFT Crash Pad and BioMoGo foam
- 3D Fit Print mesh upper allows for a customized, streamlined, and lightweight fit
Brooks Pureflow 7
The Pureflow shoes are built for runners with medium and high arches who want neutral support. This would be among the best Brooks for nurses who, similarly, want a neutral supporting shoe.
They’re constructed from durable gum rubber with a breathable synthetic and mesh upper. If you have high arches and want support with minimal cushioning, this is the shoe for you. The super flexible design allows you to feel the ground with each step. A rounded heel aligns the foot to reduce stress on your joints.
- Available in 7 different colors
- Synthetic and mesh construction with a gum rubber sole
- Built for people with medium and high arches who need neutral support
- Lightweight and flexible, with minimal cushioning so you can feel the ground
- Close-to-foot fit feels like a comfortable sock
The Ricochet shoes are designed to be as soft as possible. They combine DNA AMP and BioMoGo cushioning to allow for a lightweight and responsive ride. The Fit Knit upper stretches around the foot for maximum softness. Inside the shoe is a heel wrap and a suede heel tab that prevent the foot from becoming irritated. The flexible grooves on the sole guide you through each stride without losing energy.
- Available in 5 different color combinations
- Responsive, lightweight combination of BioMoGo and DNA AMP cushioning
- Suede heel tab and interior heel wrap discreetly prevent irritation
- Arrow-point outsole pattern provides quick transitions
- Upper knit is made of breathable mesh material
Brooks Addiction Walker Suede
Best for Men
These shoes are a great choice for male nurses. They’re a suede version of the original Addiction Walker shoes, featuring a lace-up closure for a secure fit. The outsole has been certified as slip-resistant, making it ideal for those who work in slippery conditions.
Like the other Addiction Walkers, these shoes use rollbar technology to guide the motion of your foot and keep your stride stable.
- Available in professional white, black, and gray color combinations
- Lace-up closure for a tight and secure fit
- Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar supports and stabilizes the foot
- High-traction outsole has been certified as slip resistant
- BioMoGo DNA cushioning adapts to your unique foot needs
Best for Wide Feet
These shoes are designed with a roomy fit, so they’re the best Brooks shoes for nurses with wider feet. They have extra space in the forefoot to let your toes spread out. If the Fit Knit upper of other options is too tight for you, this is the way to go. The cushioning is soft and luxurious, and the embroidered saddle can conform to a variety of different foot shapes. These shoes also have one of the most modern appearances on the market.
- Available in 3 different color combinations
- Breathable synthetic and mesh upper with a tough gum rubber sole
- Extra forefoot space allows your toes to spread out comfortably
- DNA LOFT cushioning creates maximum supportiveness without losing durability
- Spacious shoe conforms to the foot using an embroidered saddle and engineered upper
Buying Guide for Picking the Best Brooks Shoes for Nurses
Special Foot Needs
Overpronation is a condition that means your foot moves inward when you move. Instead of hitting the ground head-on, the outside of the heel hits first. This leads to straining of the ligaments, tendons, and muscles.
Nurses who overpronate are more likely to injure themselves on the job. They are more prone to Achilles tendinitis, ankle sprains, plantar fasciitis, and heel spurs. Shoes like the Brooks Adrenaline are great for nurses who are overpronators. They’re designed to keep the foot stable as you move, correcting overpronation and preventing injury.
Plantar fasciitis is a condition that causes the heel to become inflamed. This causes stabbing pain when you walk, especially when you first get out of bed in the morning. Many nurses develop plantar fasciitis as a result of unsupportive footwear. But if you have this condition, you can mitigate it by getting better shoes.
If you’re looking for shoes for plantar fasciitis, you’ll need extra cushioning in the heel. You’ll also need arch support. It’s helpful for the sole to be rigid rather than flexible, and the midfoot should have a lot of cushioning. Search for designs that include a firm heel counter, as these stabilize your heel with each stride.
High arches can cause problems because the foot has trouble with shock absorption. Usually, the arch of a person’s foot is a natural shock absorber. With high arches, your foot isn’t in contact with the ground, so there’s extra strain on your heel. Supportive shoes aim to mitigate that.
Shoes like the Addiction Walker have ideal support for those with high arches. They’re outfitted with rollbar technology that helps cushion and stabilize your foot with each stride. It’s important to note that people with flat feet will typically want the opposite kind of support.
People with flat feet have the opposite problem from those with high arches. Their feet tend to absorb too much shock from the ground. If you have rigid flat feet, it’s important to get soft shoes that provide necessary cushioning.
The Brooks Adrenaline shoes have ideal support for those with flat feet. They’re soft and flexible, with just enough cushion to protect the sole of your foot.
If you suffer from flat feet, check out this list of the 16 Best Nursing Shoes for Flat Feet.
If you often deal with joint pain, shock-absorbing shoes like the Brooks Glycerin can be very helpful. When you walk or run, the shock reverberates up your leg. This can lead to knee and hip pain, especially if you have arthritis or other joint conditions.
Extra cushioning is key. The better a shoe absorbs shock, the less stress there will be on the joints. Shoes with shock absorbers should be the first priority for people who struggle with joint pain.
Ease of Cleaning
Nurses need to consider the ease of cleaning. You might need to clean your shoes more than once during a shift. Shoes like the Brooks PureFlow can be easily cleaned by wiping them down with a sanitizing cloth.
Some shoes are specifically designed for healthcare settings. These tend to be easy to sanitize. Other shoes are machine washable, so you can just toss them into the washer when they get dirty.
Shoes like the Suede Addiction Walkers are made from waterproof materials. There are several advantages to waterproof shoes. First, they protect your feet from potentially hazardous spills. Next, they keep you dry and warm if you’re working in wet conditions.
Waterproof materials like leather also tend to be easy to clean. Since liquid doesn’t sink into the surface, you can easily wipe away spills and imperfections. See some leather shoe cleaning tips here.
The size of the shoe matters. You want something that hugs your foot without pinching. Too-tight shoes can lead to the development of conditions like bunions. If you have wider feet, you’ll want a roomier fit like the Brooks Ariel.
Always make sure to check the manufacturer sizing chart when you’re buying shoes online. You can also consult customer reviews to see whether the shoes run true to size. Some shoe companies offer multiple different widths for people with unusually narrow or wide feet.
Design or Build
The shoe’s design has an impact on its functionality. Brooks specializes in running shoes, but different models are built for different purposes. Some of the designs are extremely lightweight, so they’re good for nurses with fatigue. Some are extremely cushioned, so they’re good for nurses who need extra padding.
The best design is the one that fits your overall needs. Do you need something roomy or snug? Flexible or stiff? Padded or relaxed? Will you need room to insert a customized orthotic liner? How much traction will you need on the floors of your workplace?
Keep all this in mind as you compare different models.
Slip resistance is more than a convenient feature: It’s a serious matter of safety. Shoes like the Brooks Revel have arrow-point traction patterns that increase speed while also being slip-resistant.
You can see how slip-resistant a design is by seeing the manufacturer tests. Shoes will be certified as slip-resistant on a variety of different surfaces. If you often work outdoors or on recently-cleaned slippery floors, you’ll want a lot of traction.
Traction is obtained by combining high-friction materials with high-friction outsole patterns. A stable shoe can help prevent potential falls and injuries when you’re working in slippery areas.
Alternative Brands to Brooks Shoes for Nursing Professionals
You probably have heard of Allbirds as a popular shoe worn in Silicon Valley, but they’ve certainly gotten a foothold in the healthcare world. Popular among nurses and other healthcare workers, Allbirds have been praised for their long-lasting comfort during shifts. Their shoes are good on the environment and are made from all-natural sources. The top choice among nurses are the Tree Dashers and the Tree Runners.
- Traditional running shoe
- Neutral stability
- Breathable tree material
- Traditional running shoe
- Neutral stability
- Breathable tree material
Super comfy, eco-friendly sneakers for doctors, med students, and nursing students! Upgrades to the original Tree Dasher includes an angular heel for softening impact. Pairs perfectly with Trino Sprinters low socks.
- Machine washable
- Comfortable casual sneaker
Nike has been creating both athletic and non-athletic shoes for more than 50 years. The designs combine an iconic appearance with excellent functionality. Nurses who spend a lot of time walking around and standing tend to appreciate the engineering. Nike shoes can help reduce stress on the joints and keep the feet from getting tired during long shifts.
Nike Tanjun shoes are a popular choice among nurses and you can see the full list of the best Nike shoes for nurses.
- Available in 29 different colors and styles
- Lightweight and breathable textile upper construction
- Lightweight foam midsole and outsole for comfortable cushioning
- Flex grooves in the outsole provide extra flexibility with each stride
The Nike Tanjun also made our list of the 15 Best Shoes for Male Nurses
Adidas shoes are popular for nurses because they have the main requirements you’ll need in the workplace. Many Adidas designs have a high level of slip resistance, so they’re excellent if you work on slippery floors. They also have excellent cushioning, and the designs fit well regardless of whether you choose a knit fit or regular fit. Additional durability means they’ll last for years.
Two popular Adidas choices for nurses are the UltraBoost and the Cloudfoam.
- Available in 41 different colors and styles
- Made entirely of leather with a synthetic sole
- Primeknit textile upper allows for a soft fit that feels like a sock
- Responsive Boost midsole helps conserve energy with each stride
The Adidas Ultraboost made this year’s list of the best white nursing shoes
- Aesthetically pleasing shoe with a black upper and white sole
- Synthetic material with a rubber sole
- Designed specifically for women
- Cloudfoam memory foam sock liner and soft textile lining
- Durable everyday shoes that hug the foot
New Balance is especially popular with nurses who want to keep their feet cool. During long shifts, your feet tend to get hot and sweaty. Most New Balance shoes have technology that allows air to perforate the upper while still keeping your feet protected. The shoes are also constructed from durable materials, so they can handle hours of heavy-duty work.
A popular New Balance choice for nurses is the New Balance 608.
New Balance 608
- Available in 4 professional, neutral colors
- Made completely from leather with a rubber sole
- Multiple layers of cushioning, including a comfortable memory foam insert
- ABZORB heel crash pad absorbs shock and prevents stress on the joints
- Made our list of the best shoes for male nurses
Premium leather upper keeps feet dry from any splashes.
Best Brooks Shoes for Nurses – FAQ
Are Brooks good for standing all day?
Which Brooks are most supportive?
Do Brooks sneakers run small?
Brooks sneakers can tend to run small and they recommend sizing 1/2 size larger than what you’d wear in dress shoes.
Brooks is a company that creates running and athletic shoes that are coveted by nurses. The best Brooks shoes for nurses are the ones that meet your individual foot needs. Every Brooks design is durable and high-quality enough to last through multiple long shifts.
Our top pick overall is the Brooks Ghost 13. These stylish running shoes provide the support you need to stay on your feet for hours. They’re designed with balanced cushioning, a responsive sole, and super lightweight materials. The grippy rubber sole helps improve your traction as well.