How do you decide on the best backpacks for law school? Law students live busy lives, full of learning and studying and practicing. Law school can often be overwhelming. You need a backpack that can stand up to the challenge! It should be able to accommodate your classroom supplies and electronics, while also providing maximum durability and comfort levels. With that in mind, we’ve broken down the important deciding factors in choosing the right backpack, and then we’ve highlighted our favorite picks for law students.
In a hurry? Here are our 3 favorites:
7 Best Backpacks for Law School
Timbuk2 Parkside Laptop Backpack
This dressed-up backpack is travel-friendly and includes laptop protection capabilities. The front zip pocket allows you to keep your small items organized, while the internal slip pocket fits laptops and tablets up to 15 inches. The strap features a bottle opener for quick refreshment and fun party tricks, while the entire bag has a customized Timbuk2 print liner. Also on the market for a new laptop? Here’s the 4 best LSAT laptops for law school to choose from.
- Internal slip pocket with dimensions of 10.4 x 16.5 x 1.2 inches (great for laptops)
- Front zip pocket helps organize small items
- Nine different styles to suit your unique aesthetic
- Bag dimensions: 10.6 x 18.1 x 7.3 inches
- THE PARKSIDE: A dressed up travel-friendly...
- KEEP IT ORGANIZED: Front zip pocket for keeping...
- CLEVER EXTRAS: On-strap bottle opener for party...
SwissGear 1900 ScanSmart Backpack
This utilitarian backpack comes in seven colors, from gray to red to black. You can fit all of your essentials in the organizer compartment, ensuring you never need to hunt for a pencil again. The padded 17-inch laptop compartment is TSA friendly, and an additional sleeve for tablets protects your electronic devices. The ergonomic shoulder straps are made from mesh fabric that conforms to your shoulders. Finally, the back panels are designed to keep you from sweating by providing airy comfort.
- Padded 17-inch laptop compartment and TabletSafe sleeve protect multiple electronic devices
- Contoured shoulder straps and breathable back panels make for maximum comfort
- Organizational space allows you to secure both large and small items in their proper place
Related: The Law School Dating Guide
The North Face Recon
This stylish backpack is available in a whopping 34 colors and styles. The mini-ripstop is made from Cordura nylon, which is durable and easily cleaned. A newly-designed FlexVent suspension system comes with a flexible yoke, injection-molded custom shoulder straps, a padded mesh panel, and a breathable lumbar panel. The woman-specific shoulder straps are designed to conform to a variety of body types.
The large main compartment suits your books and binders, while the front compartment comes with internal organizational space for your smaller objects. There’s also an extendable pocket with attached daisy chains, as well as a fleece-lined external pocket to hold objects like your phone, keys, and sunglasses. Two mesh pockets for water bottles can also be multi-use pockets.
- Breathable paneling and conforming shoulder straps ensure comfort that lasts all day
- Multiple organizational pockets, including external pockets that allow quick cell phone and sunglasses withdrawal
- Padded laptop sleeve and tablet pocket help protect a variety of electronic devices
Burton Kilo Backpack
This is another backpack for the style-conscious, with 23 colors and unique prints to choose from. The fabric is 100% polyester, with front webbing that can carry a skateboard. The spacious main compartment comes with an internal organizer. There’s a tablet sleeve and padded laptop compartment to fit your electronics, while the external zippered pockets hold your accessories. The internal zippered pocket has a key clip and slip pocket secured by Velcro.
- Internal organizer includes spaces for all your important items, including a padded laptop compartment and tablet sleeve to protect your electronics
- 23 colors and unique prints to suit anyone’s aesthetic taste
- Comfortable shoulder straps and harness for long-distance, all-day carrying
This backpack is available in 24 colors and styles. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty. The laptop sleeve will fit 15-inch laptops, and the spacious main compartment can hold a number of different textbooks and binders. There are also specially-engineered straps to offer shoulder support, dispersing the weight of the bag for maximum comfort.
- 24 bright colors and different styles to choose from
- Limited lifetime warranty to replace any damage
- Specially-engineered straps and harness help disperse weight for easy all-day carrying
High Sierra Swerve
This polyethylene backpack has large main compartments along with multiple pockets that help you stay organized. The CushionZone laptop compartment has full padding and the capability of accommodating most 17-inch models. Meanwhile, the TechSpot sleeve gives you a secure spot for your tablet. The strap suspension system helps to dampen the shock from weight transfer, so it’s easier to carry heavy loads. Specific pockets include a key fob hook, lidded media pocket, pockets for pens, and a zippered mesh pocket.
- Deep air channels in the mesh material help maximize airflow to keep your back sweat-free
- Multiple organizational pockets including pen pockets, a zippered mesh pocket, and a key fob hook
- Safe, padded spaces for both your tablet and your laptop
Mancro School Backpack
This lightweight backpack boasts a huge number of organizational features. The three roomy main pockets are perfect to store your textbooks and binders. There are nine small inner pockets that can organize your keys, wallet, pens, and cell phone. The two sealed side pockets will hold easy-access objects like your sunglasses or umbrella.
The bag comes with a USB port design. The charger interface is positioned outside the bag, while a built-in charging cable inside helps you charge your electronics on the way to school. Overall, the construction is durable nylon fabric, with padded shoulder straps that encourage maximum comfort.
- USB charging port helps you charge electronics like your phone, tablet, or laptop
- Durable, breathable material disperses weight for maximum comfort
- Over a dozen organizational pockets to help hold your things together
What Makes a Good Law School Backpack?
1. Large Amount of Storage
Heavy textbooks are just the beginning. You also need to keep track of your electronics, like your tablet, phone, and laptop. If you take physical notes, you need space for those notebooks. You also need space for the binders that organize your classes. Without ample storage space, you might not be able to carry everything you need.
The aforementioned large amount of items (both big and small) can also get super heavy. Textbooks in particular weigh about the same as bricks. Your ideal backpack needs to stand up to the weight test. You should look for durable packs made from tear-resistant fabrics. It’s also helpful to invest in a pack whose zippers are made for durability and spill-resistance.
Everything should have its own spot within your bag. Your backpack basically functions as a portable home office. You need all of your information inside, but you also need items like pencils, pens, erasers, post-it notes, highlighters, and other helpful pieces. When these have their own pockets, they won’t get lost at the bottom of your pack. It’s also helpful to have external pockets for the items you want to grab easily, like your sunglasses and phone.
There are two main components of a backpack’s design: the comfort, and the visual aesthetic. Comfort should be the first priority. Look for backpacks that disperse their weight and offer low-impact results when you walk. The shoulder straps should have padding and, ideally, conform to suit your body shape. The visual aesthetic is the next important component: You want a backpack that matches your personal style. You should feel good about it, whether you pick something with a bold print, bright color, or sleek professional neutrality.
The best backpacks for law school will protect and organize your things well enough that you don’t have to worry. Look for backpacks that meet all of your requirements. If you use a tablet and laptop, find one that accommodates both. If you need on-the-go charging, pick one with a USB port. There are a huge number of different factors and features to choose from. Just make sure your backpack does everything you need it to, so you can focus on studying.